Thursday, July 01, 2004

Romans 9:11-16

Even before they had been born or had done anything good or bad (so that God's purpose of election might continue, not by works but by his call) she (Rebekah)was told, "The elder shall serve the younger." As it is written, "I have loved Jacob, but I have hated Esau." What then are we to say? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God who shows mercy. (NRSV)
We discussed this passage and the rest of Romans 9 at my Bible Study last night. Good thing I paid attention in church last Sunday (well, not really, I fell asleep during the sermon). As it is with all discussions about this sort of thing, we came to the conclusion that this is one of those issues we will never understand...who are we to question God? We also decided that God's justice and mercy are better understood when we understand that the starting point with God is condemnation. Once we realize that we are condemned, and there's nothing we can do about it but turn to Christ, that's when we appreciate God's grace and mercy.

My favorite quote of the evening: "God is not fair, but he is just."
My friend Brenda said that, but seeing as how she is in seminary right now, she is probably quoting someone else. :)

Results of our icebreaker OR fun facts about people in my Bible Study:

Roy counted bats for a summer before he became a doctor.
Melissa would like to do a triathalon but can't swim.
Jeff weighs 145 pounds (and he's about 5'10")
Cheri's ex-boyfriend is now a communist.
Patrick arm-wrestled the US Women's Champion Arm-Wrestler.
Julie likes to play games.
Brenda...well, I can't remember what her fun fact was.
And me, well, I have blue scar on the palm of my hand from a bike crash.

No comments: