Thursday, July 08, 2004

Romans 10:1-11

Brothers and sisters, my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. I can testify that they have a zeal for God, but it is not enlightened. For, being ignorant of the righteousness that comes from God, and seeking to establish their own, they have not submitted to God's righteousness. For Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes. Moses writes concerning the righteousness that comes from the law, that "the person who does these things will live by them." But the righteousness that comes from faith says, "Do not say in your heart, "Who will ascend into heaven?'" (that is, to bring Christ down) or "Who will descend into the abyss?'" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say? "The word is near you, on your lips and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); because if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For one believes with the heart and so is justified, and one confesses with the mouth and so is saved. The scripture says, "No one who believes in him will be put to shame." (NRSV)

2 Timothy 1:7-9

For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline. Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God, who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace. (NRSV)
I can't tell you how many times I have been ashamed of the gospel, fearful of sharing my faith because of what people will think. As I think about these two verses, I am comforted. I should not be ashamed of the gospel because God protects those who believe in him. I will still be tested, and God will give me opportunities to interact with unbelievers. I can only pray that I will be faithful and unashamed when those opportunities come. It is God alone who saves.
Thursday is probably going to be my "contemplative blog" day because it is the day after my Bible Study. To my faithful readers (namely Ryan and my sister, Megan) thanks for reading. I appreciate your comments. Feel free to ask me questions or offer topics...I'll do my best to answer them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooooo...I love that 2 Timothy verse. It is definately being written on a BIG post-it and being stuck on my cuby wall. I really feel the same way, Robyn. It makes me very nervous when I think about sharing the Gospel with strangers and even more nervous/sick-anxious when I think about sharing it with my friends. I hope I can be a Christ-like example to them and I can have "a spirit of power" when God presents the opportunity to share. Robyn, the older I get, the more I realize how similar I am to you and to Mom. It is so funny. I will tell Mom how I feel about a certain thing and she will tell me that you feel the exact same way. Funny huh? Ok back to work.love-megan

Robyn said...

Right on sis.