Monday, July 26, 2004

Romans 12:1-3

I appeal to you therefore, brouthers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God which is your spiritual worship.  Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God--what is good and acceptable and perfect. (NRSV)
I know that normally I post the Bible Commentaries on Thursdays, but I have a lot to write about tomorrow, so I thought I'd at least get some of today's sermon out there.  Today at church, we actually talked about Romans 12:1-8, but I figured that three verses would be enough for this post. I do find it difficult to live in this world without adopting the world's dominant philosophies like materialism (wanting what others have), humanism (always striving to be the best person you can be), trying to gain power over others, etc. God's will is for us to actually transform our minds so that we think like He does... about people, about possessions, about our whole lives.  When we focus on God, it really does help us to see the world differently and strive for the things that God would have us strive for--righteousness, faithfulness, joy, love, and care about the people he cares about--yeah, that would be everyone.  It is difficult to love people sometimes.  It is difficult to forgive them sometimes, but this is what God has called us to do.  With his strength, I pray that I would be able to love and forgive like Him.  Both are areas I know I need to work on.


No comments: