Tuesday, June 29, 2004

The Black Lung

Scene 1

At Christiane's place, on Monday evening, Robyn and Christiane are preparing to practice music for a wedding they will be playing at on Saturday...

Christiane: Robyn, you say the chord sheets are on the CD?

Robyn: Yeah, its a CD-Rom.

Christiane loads the CD in the computer in her room, Robyn is in the living room.

Christiane: Shoot, I don't think I have Acrobat Reader.

Robyn: Well, you can download it from the Internet.

Christiane: Yeah, if I had the internet.

Robyn: You don't have access?

Christiane: No, its a long story.

Robyn (looks at her watch, the time is 7:15pm): What if you called the boys down the street?

Christiane: That's a good idea.

Robyn: You might want to hurry though, I think they have their Men's Bible Study tonight at 7:00pm.

Christiane: Yeah, yeah, Okay.

Christiane picks up the phone...

What's their number again?

Robyn: I don't know, something 1015.

Christiane (laughs a little): Well I knew that...

Christiane finds the number and dials the guys' number...she gets an answering machine...

Hi guys, it's Christiane, are you there? I know you have your Bible Study tonight...Please pick up... I know you are there... (begging) please? Pretty please?
(Imitates Zoolander) cough, cough.... I have the black lung...cough, cough...I am writing my oogoogally...cough, cough...

Dennis finally answers the phone

Dennis (laughs): Yup?

Christiane: Were you guys in the middle of prayer or something?

Dennis: No, someone was giving their testimony...what do you need?

Christiane: I'm so sorry, I need to use your computer, can I come over and download something and print it out?

Dennis: Sure.

Christiane: Thanks, Robyn and I will be over in a minute. We are trying to rehearse for a wedding on Saturday. See you in a few. Thanks again, sorry for interrupting.

Robyn and Christiane successfully obtain the chord sheets they need from Dennis' computer and proceed to rehearse the music.

Scene 2

Approximately 2 hours later...the phone rings

Christiane: Hello? (pauses) oh, hi Dennis...thanks so much again for letting us use your computer.

Dennis: yeah, when you first called, we thought about unplugging the answering machine, and then you said that part about the black lung, and we had to answer it.

Christiane: Yeah, I know how to get what I want. The whole time, I was telling Robyn, "I feel so bad for interrupting." You can ask her...

Dennis: Well, we all had a good chuckle about it later.

Christiane: Good. Thanks again. I'll see you soon.

Dennis: Yeah, talk to you later...bye

Christiane: Bye.

Epilogue:

Robyn and Christiane had a productive evening. The rehearsal went well. They were both very thankful to Dennis and the Men's Bible Study for bailing them out. The wedding will take place on Saturday at 4:30pm where in addition to providing the music, both Christiane and Robyn plan on fighting for the bridal bouquet and eating lots of cake.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Scene 1: Could we not use the computer and printer of the narrator?

Scene2: God's time vs reference to Zoolander? Well I guess we know who won

Epilogue: I love cake!
Wonderful anecdote, we all just think wedding music "happens", but now we know how those musicians suffer for their art :)

Robyn said...

Author's note: At one point in time, I did own the CD we needed, but I left it on top of my car (along with all my other CD's) and drove away. The CD's were never recovered.

Christiane lives about 20 minutes away from me, so there was no opportunity to go to my place for the download, it would have wasted too much time because this was the only night we could rehearse, and we needed the music right away. The guys live one block away from Christiane, and that's why their place was more convenient than mine. It really was an emergency... and look at us damsels allowing the men to help us out in our time of distress... :)

Ryan said...

Commentors Note: I think I am the only oe who comments! That means I rock!
Actually, in all probability it means nothing of the sort, but since there is no one to disagree with me I Rock yet again.
:)

Seriously, Blogging is a nice way to keep track of you. I am putting together a blog about my work. it is at ryanosullivan.blogspot.com check out my cool disco theme. It isnot fully functional and you would be my beta tester.
Peace
Ryan