Monday, August 02, 2004

Conversations-4 and other things

So much to say...so little time...

Here's what I did this weekend:

Friday:
Went to work, went to a luncheon for a co-worker who is retiring. Drove to Carmel Valley and let Michael drive my car to a wedding (We were running late, and he knew where the wedding was. I didn't). Played cello at a wedding in Del Mar, outside, in a grassy park, overlooking the ocean. Lost and found my car keys. Went to the beach and went swimming, went out for pizza, drinks, and billiards.

Saturday:
Found my cello outside my front door in the morning (a true "What the heck did I just do?!" moment). Went to the Del Mar Race Track. Pooled my money with Dennis and his friend David. Played blackjack with 100 fake dollars:
Dennis retrieved a deck of cards from his pocket. "What do you want to play?"

"How about Go Fish?" It was a question, but was really a suggestion. And I didn't really want to play Go-Fish, I was just trying to be funny.

"Uh, let's play Blackjack," Dennis suggested instead.

"Ok," I agreed.

"I'll be the dealer," Dennis told me. "I'll give you $100 fake dollars."

I laughed.

"All right, what do you want to bet?" He asked.

"Well, which table are we at?" I wanted to know. "Are we at the $20 dollar table? Are we at the $5 dollar table?"

Dennis laughed. "We're at the dollar table."

"OK," I said. "Then I'll bet $5.00."

We played a few rounds, and I pretty much broke even. Dennis started instructing me on Blackjack. "You had an 11? You should have doubled-down. That means you double your money, then I give you one card, and you don't look at it. But if you win, then you win double."

"Then next time I get an 11, I'll double-down," I told him. We played another hand, and I lost.

"We should play for push-ups!" Dennis suggested.

"Dennis, I can only do like, 15 push-ups total. Maybe a few more if I really pushed myself," I said.

"Ok, then you can do girl push-ups," he said. I let the comment slide, and we played a few more rounds.

"We could play for pieces of candy," I said.

"What kind of candy?" he asked.

"Do you like M&M's?" I asked, "Or we could play for gummy bears..."

"OK, we'll play for pieces of candy," he said.

We played between races. Final result? I lost $40 fake dollars or 40 pieces of candy on Blackjack.
On with my day:
Lost a total of $2.60 real cash on the races (out of $10.00--not bad for a rookie), went to a potluck.

Sunday:
Played cello at church (9am morning for me), met some new people. Went to lunch with friends from church. Drove home, called some of my other friends. Did my laundry at the laundromat. Called Megan while doing my laundry. Got picked up for a concert in the park. Took an unintentional navigational detour. Spent some time with my friend Melanie (pronounced Mel-awww-nie) from South Africa. She and I found an English Pub and hung out. Went home. Chatted with my roommate and her friend about why we don't have cable (He works for the Cable company), music, her new digital camera, and living in San Diego.

Points to ponder:
At the wedding on Friday, the pastor talked about the marriage relationship being not 50-50, not 100-100, but being 100-0. Meaning you give 100% to the relationship, expecting nothing (0%) in return. I started to think about how this could apply to other relationships in my life. Real love is giving of yourself, expecting nothing in return, and risking possible hurt, heartache, rejection, and pain, and having a realistic view of what you can expect of people. (Read Romans 12:9-21...we studied this in church on Sunday) Do I sound pessimistic here? I don't mean to be. Of course, having people in your life who love you brings joy, happiness, security, and freedom, because you can be the person you were meant to be around those kinds of people.

I hope that I can be that kind of person...one who encourages and fills others with hope. I still have a ways to go, but that's the person I aspire to be.

No comments: