Thursday, August 12, 2004

By Committee

I didn't realize when I agreed to lead music for Kids Camp (VBS) how difficult it is to select songs. Songs I think are great cannot be played cause when I go back and look at the words, the concepts are too difficult for some kids to understand. Since this is a Reformed Presbyterian church, all the songs have to be approved by committee. Just kidding. But they do have to be approved by three different people, so now all of a sudden, some classics, like King Jesus is All, might not be so appropriate, which is too bad, I really like that one. On my list of possibilities right now:

Al la la la la la la le lu ia
Every Move I Make
Amen, Praise the Lord
McGibber the Fibber (a song by my friend Angela)
King Jesus is All (I can hope, right?)
Proverbs 3:5 (Another song by Angela)
Your Everlasting Love (no one else I know knows this song...but it is a good one)
John 3:16
John 14:6 (this is the theme verse, and I wrote some music for it...lots of shouting and dancing)
Hip Hip Hooray (Also known as the Hippo Song)
Fear Not (another classic)
Awesome God

And I need to write one for Romans 6:23. I was thinking about using a funny "death" voice and minor chords for the "Wages of Sin" part, and then happy punk or ska in a major key for the part about eternal life being the gift of God. Then I started thinking about whether it was okay to make such a serious gospel verse funny so that the kids will remember it, or is it slightly sacreligious? Still debating...

I think I have too many songs on my list. I wrote Michael (worship guy at my church who will be playing on guitar with us...) cause we are meeting for lunch today and told him, "oh, by the way, the subject of our meeting today is song selection for kids camp. Aren't you excited? Are you ready to get songs stuck in your head for the next two weeks? Cause the lyrics are all repetative and super catchy..."

1 comment:

Ryan said...

"was thinking about using a funny "death" voice"
umm I know this is a comment section, but I don't think any comment does this justice, lets just let it lie.

So I appreciated the committee reference, but I don't think you need to worry about the sacrilige thing. Kids have all kinds of crazy ideas about God so its not like you can mess them up too much more. Plus warping kids is half the fun of VBS.

I mean really the Gospel is funny, you know God loves us sent us His Son, we killed Him...
I mean this stuff just crackes me up ;)

Okay, enough sarcasm. I think you will do a great job, just let your conscience guide. Your a smart cookie and I love the fact that you used funny death voice and minor chords in a sentence.