Sunday, October 24, 2004

Mellow

As I witnessed another loss for Fresno, and with the report that Duncan was hurt, and the news that he was getting discouraged, I began to wonder how much of his identity is tied to football. Megan is thinking the same thing and told me she tries to talk of other things when they talk to each other.

It made me start to think about my own identity, and maybe why I sometimes feel depressed or discouraged is because I have this idea in my head that I should be able to do more, to accomplish more, and to be more successful. In a way, I think I have tied my identity to what I do, and not to who I am as a person. Maybe God is trying to teach me through the job I have now is that my identity is "so much more" than what I do, and my identity in Christ should be the only thing that matters. And as I continue to seek His will for my life, he will lead me in the right direction, no matter what my job happens to be at the time.

It was hard for me to sit through that game tonight, and my prayer for Duncan is that he would put his identity in Christ as well.

Football is just a game after all, it isn't life or death, even when the loss is hard to take.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"so much more" is so much more than a motto...it's a way to remind us that God knows and shows us time and again that we are so much more than what we think of ourselves...our self-imposed identities...but one thing i don't agree with...Fresno State football IS life...hahahhaha just kidding : )
-meg

Ryan said...

I watched the game also. I was sad for your bro (and you). I am sorry he is hurt. I had to miss some games due to injury and the losses feel worse from the sideline. Will keep his spirits in my prayers, your too.

PS Weenus has become a running joke in my small group. Somebody hit thier funny bone the other day and I introduced the word. It was an aotomatic hit. Now just about everything is some sort of weenus joke :)