Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Wow!

I was driving to work this morning and not only did I accidently spill some coke on myself, but as I'm on the freeway, a spider starts slowly dropping from the ceiling of my car right over my steering wheel. I'm not scared of spiders, but I didn't want to deal with it while driving, so I flicked it away. It is probably still alive somewhere in my car. I couldn't help but think that if it had been Adam or Megan (my brother and sister) driving, they would have screamed and crashed. They are both scared of spiders.

Last night, I had to write a 200 word essay in French. With limited vocabulary, writing in foreign languages is like putting together a 1500 piece puzzle, with extra pieces that you don't necessarily need. They may or may not fit. But you have to figure out how to communicate using only the words you know and convey concepts, ideas, and a grasp of the language. If you translate my essay into English, it is the equivalent of a fourth grade composition. It took me an hour and a half to write. I think that's quite ironic... and I know that there are some spelling mistakes...mostly missing accent marks. If there is anything I appreciate about the English language, it is that we don't need accent marks. We sometimes use apostrophes, but no accent marks.

This week's to do list:
  1. Create contact cards for the wedding I'm going to on Saturday
  2. Call Keola, ask if I can do laundry at his house tonight during community group...that's what friends are for, right?
  3. Print and fill out APU Faculty Application--I am being offered an adjunct position through the library. The librarians are excited, and I'm excited. I could really use the extra money, and the job will be relatively easy.
  4. Update my resume and work history--I got tired of looking things up and filling out the work history section on job applications, so I have a word document that I modify (depending on the job) and send with applications.
  5. Find a third grad school to apply to besides Berkeley and UCSD. I did check out the US News and World Report 2005 guide to grad schools. I need a mid-low range cheap school that I know I can get into. Oklahoma State is looking pretty good at this point...
  6. Practice my cello. Aaarrrrggghhh! I hate it when pieces are on the verge of being challenging, meaning that most of the piece is easy, but then has just a few parts that aren't challenging after you practice them. I work harder when a piece is more difficult.
  7. Send my mother a bibliography of all my favorite fantasy authors (if I'm not too busy...yeah right!)

I will not really have time to do any of this over the weekend either because I am working Friday so that I can have Sunday off, then on Saturday, I am going to Knott's Berry Farm, and possibly an 80's party (for which I don't have a costume...), and then on Sunday, I'm ditching church to drive to Mission Viejo, where I will be meeting my cousin for lunch, and then going to that wedding.

Pray for me, I might go crazy next week.


1 comment:

Ryan said...

"...I might go crazy this week."
That is the improper verb form. Your grammar is fine the problem is in the meaning. The way you said it, it means that you aren't currently crazy. As if here and now is sane and nextweek you will be visiting crazy town. We don't have a habitual past that goes into the future so it would have to be something like:
"Please pray for me because I might (that's conditional) go (future) crazier than (comparative) I have been (Auxiliary habitual past) being (continuous present)next week (that's a time locative)."
Okay, so I will be praying you don't go crazy over my post :) Sorry I will always be a linguist at heart.