Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Make new friends

Yesterday, I met with a girl who had just moved to San Diego. She is a friend of a friend and she was doing some research on students at Point Loma and wanted to get a staff perspective. We started chatting about the school, but also about how hard it is to actually find a Christian community here in San Diego. She is a recent college grad, has only lived here for a few months, but is already considering moving. I invited her to church, and I really hope that she feels welcome there. I know how hard it is to find a niche here because there really are very few small community churches. Most of the churches here in San Diego are either huge or virtually non-existent. Whether she decides to come back or not, I hope that she feels like I could be a potential friend or resource for her as she tries to figure out where her community is hiding. You really do have to make an effort here to find people. People here, on the whole, are not very friendly unless they are intoxicated, but that's a different story.

No comments: