Saturday, September 11, 2004

Reality in threes

Three significant events of the day...

1. I took the GRE. You know, my test scores on standardized tests are remarkably consistent. Let's put it this way: I scored about the same on the GRE as I did on my SAT when I was in high school. I did okay. Not as great as I had hoped, but at least what I expected. I'm below average for most schools I want to apply to. But the good thing is that an average is an average...they take scores above and below. I'm hoping that my previous stellar performance in grad school will have some weight with the schools I want to apply to.

2. I had a rehearsal for yet another wedding. This one will be a week from Saturday. It's going to be a lovely wedding. At this rehearsal, Annie (my violinist friend) informed us (me and Michael) that she was bringing someone to the rehearsal dinner. We tried to find out who, but she wouldn't tell us. Later, she decided to tell us that she was dating someone. She hasn't dated anyone since I've known her. Then Michael asked if it was someone from church. She said yes. I couldn't figure out who it was, and then she told us that she is dating Derrick. That's cool. Again, I think this is a good match.

I haven't been doing a great job about being real in this journal, so while I was happy for Annie, I guess I got a little depressed. The singles are dropping like flies to become couples. There are more than I think there are, but still, I can only think of four *non-transient* guys who are still single, and one of them doesn't really come to church. There are more ladies. About six of us or so. I am experiencing this recent pesimisstic mood for a few reasons: I have a headache...probably from a lack of sleep. I'm really tired. I also didn't do as well as I would have liked on the GRE. Plus it is HOT here in San Diego. I can't imagine what the temperatures must be in LA right now. It makes it hard to sleep because everyone has their windows open, and my neighbors are particularly loud.

3. Michael had asked me to think and pray about coordinating events for a ministry to young adults. I told him I would think about it. Today we chatted, and I shared with him some of my reservations regarding leading this particular team. I told him that admin is not my true strength, but that casting vision, seeing the bigger picture, gathering information, and preparing a plan are the things that I do well. So I don't know if I will be leading this team or not. We were both pensive as we came away from that meeting. I think we are both going to think some more about it.

No comments: