Friday, September 24, 2004

Freeway etiquette

This has never happened to me before, and it was both annoying and scary. While I was driving out to Murietta (it takes a good hour to get there) I notice that this guy in a beat-up station wagon is pacing me. So I look over, and he's trying to get my attention. I have no idea why. So I ignore him, except that he paces/follows me for 20 miles.

Now, when I drive, I normally notice if I have been driving with the same cars. But it is rare, and there is unspoken freeway etiquette that dictates you don't drive right next to other cars for any amount of time, especially when there is space. Passing is understood. Pacing is weird. Traffic is a different situation.

This guy was definitely following me. I tried speeding up, slowing down, switching lanes, boxing myself in by other cars, and still, he stayed with me or near me for 20 miles. I was getting scared. But then he just got off of the freeway a few exits before mine. I was relieved. So that's the story for today.

No comments: