Thursday, August 04, 2005

What have I gotten myself into?

Really wrestling right now with compassion vs. safety right now. My new roommate has a homeless boyfriend. He seems to be alright, but he has no job and nowhere to go. I've told her in no uncertain terms that its not okay for him to live with us. She seems to understand, and I made her sign a rental agreement yesterday that states that overnight guests must be cleared 24 hours in advance, and that they should not stay for an excessive amount of time. She was going to tell him today that he cannot live with us.

I can understand being down and out, and I know its hard, I've been there, but this guy does not seem to have any motivation to do anything and I think he's slightly depressed. I really hope this doesn't get out of hand, and while I feel compassionate toward him, I don't want him living with us at all. There are plenty of shelters in San Diego, and I might check with my church to see which agencies they work with. I don't understand why people sometimes will not accept help when it is offered them, unless this guy is on drugs, which is possible. Haven't been around him long enough to know.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Wow, why is a girl who just graduated dating a homeless guy? Also, what is the deal wit her being a Christian and her boyfriend staying with you? I mean I know compassion over judgement, but I go along with you, I am hearing all kids of warning bells. Speaking of being homeless. I shall be soon as well :)