Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Instruments

I changed out the strings on my electric guitar today. The guitar does not actually belong to me, but has been in my possession for awhile. I'm not sure that my friend is ever going to ask for it back!

What I realized is that instruments are very sensitive to change. It takes time for the strings to settle in. Until they do, I constantly have to re-tune the instrument. The strings need time to stretch out and regulate to the appropriate tension on the instrument.

For my cello, any little change in the humidity or temperature really affects the instrument. When it is dry, my tuning pegs tend to dry out a little, contract, and then I find loose strings on my instrument. Cellos are slightly more difficult to tune than guitars.

Once a stringed instrument is re-tuned in these circumstances, it may not necessarily hold the pitch and the musician must constantly pay attention to readjust the tones so that they are the right ones.

I find a metaphor lurking in this post about people, change, and habits. Habits will only change if we notice them and constantly adjust. It is our nature to just settle back in to where we were before, even when we KNOW it causes dissonance in our lives. I personally am finding myself more resistant to change than I thought I was. I find it is quite the challenge to embrace change rather than resist.

1 comment:

Tracy Reid said...

Robyn!
I'm trying to be a blogger now but I'm not sure how to use it yet:) I started to keep in touch with Maureen Stowell, Scott's wife. Now I see that the whole family has one!! You'll have to show me how to do all this stuff!! I hope you have a fabulous day!
xoxo