Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Week in Review

It has been a long week. I just finished my Master's Degree in Library and Information Science. It has been three years coming. I am feeling good about being done, but discouraged about the job market. A few weeks ago, I had a librarian email me to see when they could set up a conference call with me. I followed up yesterday, and turns out that they have many more qualified applicants. I was also chatting with one of the admin assistants where I work. They have two open faculty positions in their department and had over 100 applicants. The job market in higher education is kind of discouraging.

I feel that I'm such an average candidate. There are so many people out there who have way more experience. I am afraid that I will succomb to just taking a job because I cannot get a job that I would really love.

I am also playing in an opera this week. I have never been more disciplined with my time than I was last week. I had so many things I wanted to do last week, and still had to find time to finish my Master's project. I had to set goals every morning and stayed up late almost every night of the week last week in order to get things done. I wanted to have some time last weekend to spend with my friends.

So in addition to playing the opera on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I also played ultimate frisbee on Saturday morning and went to a party on Saturday afternoon. I had a lot of fun and I'm really glad I went. I totally took a short nap before heading over.

This was the party wherein my "band" ONOE (One Night Only Ever!) played its one and only show. We had practiced four songs together. We only had one rehearsal and then we played for our friends. At the party, we played three of the four songs. I'm still waiting to see pictures from the party. I'm sure they are pretty funny. I also debuted a song I wrote two years ago called Simple Autumn and the response was positive. It is a song about change. One of the audience members noted that it could have been Barack Obama's theme song.

I feel really tired right now and kind of overwhelmed by the process ahead of me--facing the future. This should be exciting, but I'm feeling rather pessimistic at the moment. I am looking forward to a good break from school, spending more time with friends and family as well as playing our last showing of the opera on Thursday. I have a few friends coming and I'm hoping that we'll play well. I'm expecting that this show will come close to selling out.

1 comment:

mons meg said...

eeeee new blog! i hope i didnt pressure you into writing this. i know you are crazy busy. im so proud of you for completing your SECOND masters degree! smarty! im also really happy we got to hang out last night. im really looking forward to seeing you again saturday :)