Sunday, November 09, 2008

Banding together

I have a group of guy friends who all live in a house close to where I live. They LOVE games. All kinds. Computer, video, board games, and card games. They enjoy playing rock band, which is what they play when people come over. Two of the guys liked the game so much that they decided to learn how to play actual instruments. One of them got a bass guitar and some lessons, and the other acquired a drum set.

We have been talking about having me come over to play guitar and jam with them, so on Friday night, it actually happened! I brought over my guitar and we set things up in the garage! I taught the bass player how to play Run-around by Blues Traveler and a song called Unwinding Cable Car by Anberlin. It was fun to teach someone how to play a song. Meanwhile, all the other guys at the house got curious and stopped in to watch and listen to what was going on. We even had a "roadie" who set up a computer for me and found lyrics for Run-around! It was awesome.

I'm going to a party this weekend and the invite said that there would be a live band. I'm thinking, "That's great! I wonder who the band is?"

After talking to the host on Friday night, I was informed that I was the band! Apparently, the drummer is so excited about playing that he volunteered us to play without really talking to me first, which is funny considering I'm the guitarist and singer. I'm not sure that we'll be able to play more than the two songs I taught the bass player, but I'll definitely bring the guitar and we'll all jam. It might not be a true "performance" but more hanging out and playing music.

I have realized lately that although music is something I'm passionate about, not many of my close friends are musicians. I spend a lot of time playing music... at least four hours a week, if not more than that. So it is fun to have a set of friends that is interested in jamming for fun! I might be encouraged to write more songs.

The only bummer is that the bass player is moving next week. Anyone else want to jump in?

No comments: