Monday, July 02, 2007

Swimming

My friend Ryan G. convinced me to get back in the pool. I have not been swimming (workout-wise) for at least a year and a half. So I found my suit, and my goggles, and started going. I've been swimming once a week so far, and have gone twice. I'm so SLOW. If I keep trying, I'll get faster eventually.

I took some high school kids to the beach yesterday, and I swam out past where the waves were breaking, and then swam back in. That was a lot tougher than I remember. It reminded me that I need to respect the ocean. I was more sore from swimming in the ocean for maybe 200 yards in and out than I was after swimming 1500 meters in the pool. The ocean has a current and on the way back to shore, I had to push myself to beat the current.

I already have the speedo "X" on my back in the form of tan lines from my bathing suit, and since I have to be in my brother's wedding at the end of summer in a strapless dress, I'm trying not to get any tan lines. I bought a rash guard to stave them off. Hopefully that will work since it is not fun to swim in a two-piece. They just don't feel as secure when I'm swimming fast.

No comments: