Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Youth Group

I have been helping out with the high schoolers at church. We meet on Monday nights. I can't believe I've been doing this for almost a year. Crazy. Anyway, Rob, the leader, called me up on Monday at about 3:45pm. He started babbling about how its okay if we're not consistent in our meetings and was telling me things like, "well, the kids said they wanted to come tonight, are you going to be there?" And I said, "Yes, I was planning on it..." I was really confused. Consistency is high on my list of values when I fully commit to a ministry. Then I remembered that Rob is usually coaching football at around the time he called me. So I asked, "Aren't you at practice right now? What's going on?" Then he said, "Nope, I'm out of town." That was my "aha" moment. So he wasn't going to be there, and was concerned that the kids weren't going to show up cause he wasn't there.

Well, four of them came, and they didn't know that Rob wasn't going to be there either. Rob's birthday was last week, and one of the girls brought him a cake. So funny. They were all mad cause he wasn't there. So I have the cake in my freezer, and they are going to make him eat it when he comes back.

The cool thing about the study that Rob wrote is that he wrote it in a conversational style, so the kids felt like Rob was there with us. It was a good topic... When God feels far away.

No comments: