Thursday, July 05, 2007

Grape Vine

My landlady planted a grape vine that grows across the fence where I live. During the winter, it is just a sick looking twisted plant. It looks dead. Then in spring, it started to grow. It is now July, and the vine has taken over the fence. I have had to rescue my party lights from the vine's tendrils. This morning, the "fingers" of the vine grabbed my hair three times. If I slept against the fence one night, I would not be surprised if in the morning, the vine had wrapped itself around my hair or a finger.

Jesus said once, "I am the vine, you are the branches." Having seen a grape vine grow in my front and backyard, this phrase has new meaning for me. The main part of the vine is always present. When the vine sends out branches, it grows very quickly. And it is important for the gardener to prune those branches at the end of the growing season so that the vine remains healthy. These are just a few observations about the vine.

No comments: