Sunday, July 29, 2007

"I will not take these things for granted..."

I woke up this morning in a really thankful mood--thankful that the day was sunny and warm, thankful for my friends, and thankful that I had nothing that I HAD to do. So I went rock climbing for three hours this morning with Tara and some new guy friends of ours. Then we had lunch together. After lunch, we all went our separate ways, and Tara invited me to go surfing with her. I have only tried surfing once before. You can read about it here.

Trippe (our new friend) offered to teach me how to surf. He said he had a good track record...everyone he has taught so far has stood up in their first time out. I was kind of nervous, but willing to try. So I tried a few times, and stood up, but lost my balance without ever stabilizing. Then I caught a great wave; it was strong and fast. I had enough time to fully get myself up, and I did it--stood up on a surfboard.

Tara is sort of "seeing" Trippe, and I asked her what her favorite thing of the day was. She said, "watching Trippe teach you to surf...you should have seen the look on his face when you stood up!" He is a really cool guy. I don't know that I'm ready to try again yet, but I can say that I've stood on a surf board in the ocean!

This was probably my most favorite day of the summer so far, and I'm feeling very thankful that it was such a great day.

No comments: