Thursday, April 07, 2005

Luke 6:37-42

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged; do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back." He also told them a parable: "Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit? A disciple is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully qualified will be like the teacher. Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, "Friend, let me take out the speck in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor's eye. (NRSV)

We talked a bit at Bible Study last night about the difference between holding someone accountable and judging them. It is hard to withold judgment, and forgive as God forgives, but it is what we are called to do. I think I judge more than I think I do. Yet at the same time we are to hold each other accountable. When does accountability become judgement? In our discussion I think we decided that the difference is love, even though accountability can sometimes feel like judgement. Whenever we are held accountable for sin, we get immediately defensive.

In my personal experience, I will listen, get angry, think about what the person is saying, and then evaluate their words to my behavior. Sometimes I agree, and sometimes I don't.

The Bible doesn't say "Never point out the speck," but implies we can after some self-examination. The log is our own pride and self-righteousness. It can blind us. And how can you even see a speck if you're blinded by the plank? The balance between holding people accountable and allowing them grace is tricky to maintain.

No comments: