Friday, April 15, 2005

Ministry

I have been living in the last week in this fog of half-awakeness. My eyes are tired, probably from reading little black music notes, staring at the computer screen too long, sinus pressure, and not enough sleep.

I used to have these dreams as a child where I could only see the bottoms of things because my eyes wouldn't open all the way. I could only see out the smallest slit of my eyelids. I saw a giraffe that way, and it was just four spotted legs. At least I knew they were legs.

Good question this week from a discussion group I'm in... How do I minister to others?

Well, I have two ministries I think, one formal and one informal. The formal ministry is through my music, and I have no idea of the impact that has on other people. I also use music to help kids have fun at church, to teach them God's Truth. I really don't know that this has an impact. I suppose we'll know what kind of impact we will have once they hit jr. high or high school age... will they hold on to the Truth they have been taught? Or will they turn away? Only God knows.

My informal ministry is to my friends and family. I really try to encourage people as much as possible, affirm their strengths and gifts, and help them to move beyond their guilt when they feel guilty. I try to remind people when they feel like they've made mistakes that God still loves them, they are forgiven, and that I don't think less of them for their failures. In fact, I usually want to still be their friends.

I'm also starting to get to know the two high schoolers in our church. Both girls, and they are so fun. I'm trying to talk them and their parents into going to Mexico for a short-term mission trip.
I may have even succeeded.

I always like spending time with kids. I was such a serious child after my parents split, and I grew up very quickly. I still don't think I'm a kid person, couldn't imagine having children, and I think if I do ever get to that point, I'll probably adopt. But kids tend to gravitate to me. I don't know why except that I usually take them seriously.

I had a whole conversation with a five year old boy once at the coffee shop while his mom hung out with her friends. He just wanted someone to talk to.

Maybe my ministry is that of a listener. I don't know.

No comments: