Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Define Art

I am trying to meditate, fast, and pray on Fridays as a ministry to Ryan, a friend of mine who is a missionary in Africa. He asked a small group of friends and family members to do this with him. Every Friday, someone writes a guide for us to study regarding a people group, idea or ministry.

This weeks guide was written by Ryan's older brother, and it was an exploration of the definition of art and exploring art in the context of Christianity. This is a subject I hold near and dear to my heart.

I love to create and feel that the best art I've created has been the result of the gift of inspiration. It is hard for me to create without inspiration, and all my best work has come in flurries when inspiration strikes, which is not often.

There is something also to be said for being disciplined in the arts. As a musician, the less I practice, the more technique I lose. It takes work to make the music sound beautiful, and not like it is difficult to play.

I also know that when I do not create, I become static and depressed. I find that for me, a creative outlet is necessary for me to stay sane. There was a time in my life that I did not create. I went through a complete dry spell. Then I realized that I needed an outlet and started creating again.

I believe that art is a search for meaning...a search for Truth. There is always suffering, pain, and evil that you encounter on the journey. These things are as true as the end result. Is there beauty in suffering? Maybe not in the physical act, but maybe in the way it refines us... and suffering is common to the human existance. We can all relate to it.

Much art is created out of suffering and despair. Sometimes the creative process in these times gives us release, and perhaps a chance to hope a little that things will be better one day. This kind of art reminds me from whence I came and where I want to be sometime in the future, even if that future is simply the next minute I breathe.

No comments: