Friday, June 25, 2004

Surfing: Lesson #1

Although I went to UC Santa Barbara for 4 years, and have been to the beach many, many times, I never learned how to surf. My brother kept telling me it was such a waste that I went to a school where I could walk to the beach, and never learned how to surf. I just never had the desire. But I had an opportunity to try last weekend. Here's the story:

So last weekend over Father's day, my sister decided to learn to surf. It was an ideal situation because we were at the beach house in Newport, my brother, an avid surfer, was available to instruct, the waves weren't intimidating, and the weather was nice. After watching my sister succeed in catching a wave or two, my brother asked me if I wanted to try. The board is a 9 foot longboard that my brother bought to instruct others, and it is somewhat intimidating. After voicing my doubts about my surfing ability, my brother told me to just get out there. So I did. On my best opportunity to stand, my hand slipped off of the board, and due to lack of stability, I couldn't get up. Surfing was quite challenging, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to try. Maybe next time I'll be able to stand up. I can see why all you surfers out there enjoy the sport. It is quite the opportunity for humiliation.

Stay tuned for Surfing: Lesson #2...coming soon to a blog near you.

No comments: