Wednesday, March 23, 2005

For Laurel

A Short Story:

One day while we were hanging out, Laurel looked at me and said, “You’re going to be in my wedding someday.”

I had only recently met Laurel, and had known her for maybe two weeks. People always thought we were related because we had the same color hair and eyes, and though I was taller, she wasn’t too much shorter than me. We lived in the same dorm and had initially met at a Campus Crusade meeting.

I kind of looked at her, perplexed, “You don’t even know me that well, you can’t possibly know what the future holds.”

“I just know,” she said.

“We’ll see,” I responded. This really confused me. I thought it was cool that she thought we would become good friends, but I do not let very many people get close to me and I was rather skeptical.

We later became roommates, confidants, and good friends. I couldn’t ask for a better friend. And as it turns out, she was right. I did end up being in her wedding. I felt privileged to be a part of it and see a deeply held dream come true for her.

While it takes two people to maintain a relationship, Laurel was the first person to ever seriously pursue me as a friend. It is difficult to say why some people become friends and others are friends for a time and then move on, or why some people never become close at all.

All I know is that Laurel and I shared a passion for Taco Bell, good literature, and a desire to know God more. Laurel always badgered me into telling her what I was really thinking…again, one of the only people in my life to challenge me in this way.

Laurel, I have loved being your friend, and I thank you for pursuing me as a friend those first few weeks we met. College just wouldn’t have been the same without you, and I really don’t think that I would have met anyone else who could have filled the role you have filled in my life. Life would be much lonelier without you. I’m glad I get to be a part of a dream that you have held in your heart since I first met you and though we used to tease you about it, I know I never doubted that you would be married some day…I just took issue with the “when” J. Congratulations.

Love,
Robyn

No comments: