Friday, March 07, 2008

Researching the YouTube Community

I have to write this paper for a class I'm in about how online communities form. I decided to take a look at YouTube.

I think it is an interesting question, How DO online communities form? For example, I'm (obviously) a blogger. However, I do not really have a very large readership (that I'm aware of). I don't really interact with other people in blogger, and all I do is write. I don't comment on other people's posts, I haven't even really met anyone online so to speak. So what is my role in the community? Or am I even a part of one?

I do use both MySpace and Facebook frequently, and usually what happens there is that I'll meet someone in person and then either they will add me to their friends or I will add them. There's only one situation where I actually added someone I didn't really know... he is still on my friends list, but I wouldn't say we're REALLY friends.

However, I do believe in the power of social software... that's how I met Nathan, my bandmate. He had posted an ad on Craigslist, and I responded. We will be in the studio next month.

It is absolutely amazing to me how quickly that all happened, and I NEVER would have met Nate had it not been for Craigslist.

That's just one example of how the Internet brings people together in unexpected ways.

No comments: