Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Weekly moment of comedy

My life yesterday resembled a sitcom yesterday and here's why. A guy friend of mine first sends me an instant message (names have been changed):
this is random... you know jane smith? musician?

54 minutes
12:29 PM me: yes.
12:30 PM we have played together many times.
12:33 PM F: cool
12:34 PM me: where'd you meet her?
F: long story
is she cool?
me: totally.
F: hip?
me: why?
F: smart?
cute?
me: check, check, and check.
why are you asking about cuteness...
do you like her?
12:35 PM I think she's cute, but I'm a girl.
F: well, technically i've never met her
gross
jk
me:you know what I mean.
I just rolled my eyes.
F: nice
me: we're friends...
F: crazy
12:37 PM small world
me:I'm now very curious.
12:38 PM F: just a random connection
me: friend of a friend?
F: yeah
me: did they date?
or something?
F: um, i don't know
more like friend of a friend of a friend
12:39 PM me: ah. 3rd degree connection.
or 2nd if you use me as one. :)
I see her a lot.
we talk occasionally.
she's a good musician.
12:40 PM I'll prob. be seeing her tonight at rehearsal.
F: crzy
don't say anything, that would just be random. she doesn't know who i am
but i thought i would just ask
me: yeah I won't.
12:41 PM F: ask who she is
nice, thanks for the randomness
12:42 PM me: yeah. no prob.
I enjoyed it immensely
That same evening, I run into Jane....
J: Robyn, I HAVE to talk to you. Do you have a minute?
R: Yeah what's up?
J: Okay. So my friend R met her boyfriend on Craigslist and she convinced me to post an ad and give it a try. I was getting all these responses and they were all mostly from guys named "snake." But there was one guy who seemed really cool. I stalked him online and saw that you were friends and I didn't know if you were just online friends or actual friends.
R: That is so funny.
J: So do you know him?
R: Yeah, we're friends.
J: Is he nice?
R: He's really nice, loves God, loves people...
J: Really? So you think I should meet him?
R: I think he is a friend worth having.
J: Okay, I don't know what I am going to do. Don't tell him I talked to you, okay?
R: That's cool.
J: Do you think I should tell him I know you?
R: That's up to you. If you don't want me to say anything, then I won't.
This is so amusing. So they both know that I know both of them, but they do not know that they have both talked to me. I also know that they have seen each other before, last year at a wedding I played in. They were both present. They might have even been briefly introduced. I am so amused.

At least I can vouch for each of their characters. That is good. I'm trying to convince Jane to hang out with me at some kind of social function where the guy would be present. That would truly make it a sitcom situation.

No comments: