Saturday, September 16, 2006

Conversation With the Random Tow-Truck Guy That Towed My Car

Me: Rascal Flatts always has one really sad ballad on each of their albums.

Tow-truck guy skips to a track called "What hurts the most"
: You don't think this one's sad?

Me:
Well, that one's sad too, but its not a ballad in the traditional ballad sense...actually, now that I think about it, the whole CD is sad. All the songs are about break-ups. Its the post break-up CD.

Tow-truck guy:
Why do think I'm listening to it?

Me:
Oh, did you just break up with someone?

Tow-truck guy:
Yeah, three months ago. And it happened just like in the song.

[On the radio: What hurts the most, is being so close, and havin' so much to say...]


Tow-truck guy:
Ooooohhh, I really had a lot to say...

[The song continues: And watching you walk away...]


Tow-truck guy:
YEAH. That's exactly what happened.

Me:
What happened?

Tow-truck guy:
She just left. Started dating some other guy.

Me:
How long were you together?

Tow-truck guy:
A year.

Me:
That stinks.
-------------------------------------------------------
Maybe it is easier sometimes to talk about stuff with random people you will never see again. Then again, we were on kind of a road trip. My car broke down on the 15, in Wildemar. I was on my way to my parents' house because I was having car problems, so the breakdown wasn't completely unexpected. But tow-truck guy had to tow me 60 miles into LA County, where my parents live. Good times.

Also, tow-truck guy loved Rascal Flatts, and had no problem belting out the lyrics to the songs he knew in front of a complete stranger. It was refreshing to meet someone who had so much self-assurance. It made me smile.

No comments: