Saturday, April 29, 2006

Church...and being critical

I went to a friend's church tonight, and I'm a little mad at myself for being critical about the service. It was a perfectly good service, but I didn't really let myself just sit back and enjoy the experience. Instead, I was analyzing the narrowness of the rows (felt like I was going to fall over when I was standing up), distracted by the fake drumset (never thought I would ever say that they needed the drums to be louder), and also distracted by the worship guy, who kept playing his guitar while he was praying. The pastor's sermon was decent, and it sounds like he knows a lot, and yet his style of presentation made it sound like he really didn't know very much.

I don't want to be distracted, and yet I was. Maybe if I go back, I'll be able to focus better.

I think I do this to people. I usually have an open mind initially with people, but then sometimes I get critical...for no real reason at all. I really need to change in this area because I don't want to be critical toward others. I don't like interacting with my dad sometimes because he can be critical, and I believe his skeptism keeps us from experiencing a deeper relationship. I really dislike the criticism, yet find myself criticizing other people sometimes.

No comments: