Sunday, February 26, 2006

Conversations 10 - Lost and Found

"Sherry? Hi, its Robyn... I'm stuck in traffic on 7th street. Is there an alternative route I can take? Cause this is really bad..."

Sherry is one of my mom's best friends from high school, and I was already 30 minutes late for dinner at her house with her husband, son, and my parents.

"Hi Sweetie, yes, can you turn left at B Steet?"

"Yes, I'm actually right at that intersection."

"Okay, then you're going to head south, and turn onto 4th."

"Got it."

"You'll hit 2 or three stop signs, and our street will be on the right. Do you want me to stay on the line?"

"No, I think I got it." So I continued to drive, looking for the street where I had spent a majority of my childhood.

All of a sudden, there it was, and I was going too fast to turn. So I kept driving, looking for a good spot to turn around. There was a lot of construction past their street, and I knew it was not going to be easy to go back the way I came. In fact, it was going to be impossible. I turned left at a stop light and figured I would be able to just go around the block. No such luck because there was a canal in my way, and no option to cross it anywhere in sight.

As I was driving east, looking for a point to cross, my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey!" What's going on?" It was Sherry's son. I am older than he is by exactly five days, and I always hold it over his head. We hadn't talked to each other in about three years.

"Not much, what's going on with you? Where are you?" I asked him, confused...

"I'm at the house, where are you?"

"I think I'm lost. See, I missed your street, and there's all this construction, so I can't get back the way I came, and there's nowhere to cross the stupid canal..."

"Uh-huh...What are the cross-streets?"

I told him my location, and then said, "Yeah, I think I'm going to make a U-Turn."

"That's probably a good idea. Where are you exactly?" he asked as I drove back to the street right before the intersection that was blocked by construction.

I said, "I'm sitting at a stop sign across the soccer field from your house, looking at a baseball dug-out." I gave him the cross streets.

"Stay there."

"Why?"

"I'm coming to find you."

"Okay," I said, "I thought I was kind of far away."

"You're not. I'll jog..." There was a pause in our conversation, "Now I'm winded," he said. "Can you see me?"

I looked around, but didn't see him anywhere. "No, not yet," I replied. I just sat in my car looking at the park across the street. I can remember playing in the park with him when we were young. I was on one side, and his house was on the other. I waited, and watched to see where he was coming from. He was still on the line.

"What are you driving? Are you at a stop-sign?" He asked.

"A little white car," I said, "And yes, I'm sitting at a stop sign."

"I think I see you...Do you see me? I'm on your left."

I looked to the left and saw him walking toward me. He looked a little different from the last time I had seen him, but was still the same.

He said, "I'm going to hang up now."

"Okay," I said, closed my phone, and then unlocked my passenger side door.

He came around and let himself in.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," I said, "Thanks for coming to find me, I don't think I would have been able to figure out how to get to your house from here."

"You're right," he said, "there is a lot of construction, this is ridiculous."

He then directed me to the house. Turns out I wasn't that far away, but it would have taken me a long time to figure it out on my own.

I parked the car and we both got out.

"It's good to see you," I said.

I locked my door, and he locked his, and I walked up to the sidewalk.

He offered me a hug and stepped back. We were both grinning.

"Good to see you too," He replied.

And we walked inside.

No comments: