Thursday, February 02, 2012

Updates

Things have been a bit busy for me, especially since I picked up a few more music students. I now have seven students on my roster, and I think for now, that's enough. I'm now having to figure out things like "how do I pay  my quarterly self-employment tax?" Thankfully, there's a lot of info online, and a friend of mine works for the IRS. I think I can handle it.

I recorded a few songs for some friends of mine, and both projects turned out great! I can only put up a link to one of them because the other isn't quite ready to go yet. So this recording is by Jacob Furr, and he plays guitar for me at church. I basically told him I wanted to record, and so I did. His album was just released, and you should purchase it. It's only $5, and you get to hear me play cello on one of the tracks. 

I decided to take the morning off this morning to get my piano tuned. This has been a long time coming. The tuner also fixed my pedal stand (which was unstable) and my lid (which was missing a screw) as well as my sticky keys. It sounds so much better, and now I actually want to play. I haven't played it in so long because the out-of-tuneness hurt my soul. I tried playing a bit of Beethoven today, and wow, I'm REALLY out of practice. My hands felt really stiff in terms of the stretchiness you need to play piano. Actually, I take that back. My left hand is fine (that's the one cellists use for fingering) but my right hand is very inflexible. I'm hoping to change that and/or take voice lessons, which requires the use of a piano. So yay!

Last week I had the following conversation after practice with a TCU freshman who sings in the church choir:
A: So when are we going to hang out?
Me: You mean like have lunch or dinner or something?
A: Yeah.
Me: Well, do you like to walk? We can go walking after practice. I don't live far from here...
A: Do you like, have a kitchen and everything?
Me: Yes...
A: Could we maybe make dinner & stuff?
Me: Sure... next week?
A: Yeah!
Me: What do you want to eat cause I know you're picky...
A's boyfriend: Spaghetti!
Me: Okay, I can make that, we can have some salad too, and maybe brownies and ice-cream for dessert.
A: I LOVE ice-cream! Can we actually make the brownies from scratch?
Me: Sure. I have a mixer.
A: That's totally cheating. You have to mix it by hand.
Me: No it's not. The mixer is awesome.
----------------------------------------------
Anyhow. That's how the conversation went. I had forgotten how great having food at someone's house can be when you live in a dorm, and eat in the dining hall.

So I made the sauce this morning. Had to call my mom for the recipe. I'm looking forward to this evening.

No comments: