Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer Travels

I did want to write about my summer travels. I went back to CA in June to go to a wedding for a friend of mine in San Diego. It was beautiful, and I'm so glad I got to go back and see most of my friends. I got to go to Woodstocks with a bunch of people I love, and it sort of turned into a reunion, because many of them hadn't seen each other in awhile either. It was a good time to catch up, chill, and enjoy some awesome pizza! I also got to spend a few nights with one of my sisters.

Since she and her husband are both youth ministers, I was informed that they were doing a car wash fundraiser on the Saturday I was staying with them. So I washed a bunch of cars and got an awesome flip-flop tan line on my feet.

Some other highlights included seeing Kenny, who made a special effort to get down to SD from Irvine to spend some time with me, staying with my friend Beryl and having breakfast near the beach before my flight left, and visiting my old coworkers in Point Loma.

Then I flew to Fresno to spend some time with my two brothers, my sister-in-law, and my new nephew! He was born about a week before I got to Fresno. I stayed with my other brother and his roommates. That was really fun. I also made a new friend! Adam (my brother) recently rented a room to one of his old friends, Brad. Brad had recently been accepted to a medical residency program in the area and needed a place to stay. My brother is so nice. Also, Brad had been recently married, so I got to meet his wife since she came to stay with him that weekend. We spent a good amount of time together and I'm glad I have a new friend!

On the day I was supposed to leave Fresno to fly back to Texas, my brother's dog had to go to the vet. Turned out he had a nasty staph infection. This delayed the time I was supposed to get to the airport. My brother's roommate, Nate, agreed to take me. We used the GPS on his phone to get there, only it took us to the wrong location. Bottom line: I totally missed my flight. But, not a big deal, I was able to get on standby for the next day, and I didn't have to be at work for two days.

Well, the next day came, and the flight got majorly delayed, and then ultimately, canceled. Since I was already flying standby, I got bumped to the end of the line. I finally got out of Fresno three days later. Ironically, I both dropped off Adam and Nate at the airport the night I missed my flight and picked up Adam when he arrived back in town. I'm glad I had family in town, but on the whole, this was a very frustrating experience. I was so relieved to get back to Texas!

No comments: