Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Playing Hookie

I was at breakfast yesterday when I got a call from my coworker and friend, Laura. I ignored it and called her back a little later. When she answered the phone, this is the conversation we had:

Me: Hey Laura, what's up?
L, anxiously: Oh good! You're alive!
Me: What?
L: Well, are you coming in [to work]?
Me: The library is open today???
L: Well, yeah.
Me: What??? It's President's day...
L: Well, we're open.
Me (sheepish and resigned): I guess I'll be taking a vacation day.

I have had President's Day off every year for about 30 years. I assumed that I had the day off here as well. I was wrong. I felt so lame for not going in. The funny part is that I think I would have figured this out if we hadn't had the two snow days last week.

I had a really fun day off though, and had a five day weekend last weekend. So I do not regret it one bit.

No comments: