Sunday, February 21, 2010

Churches

I have been attending the same church for about six months now, and though I like it, I have come to the conclusion that it may not be the best fit for me. It seems so hard to decide that I need to go looking again, but it is important to me to find a place that makes me feel "at home."

It has been hard for me to figure out exactly what it is that is causing me to not fully commit to the church I'm currently attending, but have realized after some clarifying conversations that I need to find "my people" at church-- the ones who like to ask questions, be creative, explore scripture in depth, and feel comfortable with deep conversations. I can say with gratitude that I have made some friends at this church, friends that will become better friends as time passes. But before I decide that this church is where I want to be, I need to see if there might be a church out there that better fits me. I feel kind of weird saying that.

I am grateful that I do have the opportunity to choose where I attend. That was made abundantly clear to me, by a service in a very small town, that was close to the only option people had to attend. I'm thankful for the option to look, and I'm hoping that in the end, I will find my place.

I'm curious about what people think about this idea of looking for a church... What do people look for in their churches? How do you feel about the process?

1 comment:

emspivey said...

It's no fun! But necessary and it takes time to adjust. :) Again not the most pleasant thing.

But when you do find a church where you fit, your talents are used to the fullest, and you are challenged, it's worth the effort, time and "uncomfortableness."

I look for a church where the Word is taught and questions are okay in fact they are encouraged. There more we question and process the deep issues, the more we are sharpened "as sword sharpens swords." :)

Good Luck! :)