Friday, January 07, 2005

Learning to let go

I'm feeling kind of sick. Nothing like a winter cold to remind me of my frailty, and how thankful I am for my decent health. I have to deal with a few back problems every once in a while, but I usually only get sick once or twice a year. This could be the result of post-holiday let-down.

Holidays always stress me out because my mom gets supersensitive. This year's annual breakdown occurred at the Christmas Eve service at my old church. My siblings and I went with my mom to the service. Then my dad shows up with my step-mom. At first, they were sitting next to us, so my mom really couldn't see them. Then they moved and sat right in front of us and started snuggling relentlessly. It became too much for my mom who decided she couldn't take it anymore and left. Then my sister followed her. Then I left to try and find them in the middle of the service. No luck. I was worried and angry. We eventually did meet up after the service, but the damage had been done.

I was mad at my dad for such a visual display of PDA in front of my mom. He even asked us what was wrong and where she went. He had no idea that it was his behavior that caused her departure. My brother and I lied to my dad and told him we didn't know what was wrong even though we did. I don't even like to be in the same place with both of my parents. I had an opportunity to talk to my mom later about what happened. I told her that I thought that if she was truly content with the way she was living her life, then their behavior shouldn't bother her as much as it does. It's like she needs acknowledgement from them but I don't understand why. My step-mom will never be her friend again, and there will be no opportunity of a second chance for her with my dad.

I might have been able to get through to her this time...I wish she could just let it go.

No comments: