Sunday, December 14, 2008

Presence

The campus where I work is beautiful. It is right on the ocean and the weather is usually awesome. The other day I was walking to the campus post office and saw at least three students sending or receiving text messages while walking. It is crazy to think how attached we all are to our personal electronic devices.

In the Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster, Milo, a boy with no ambition and nothing to do, finds himself in a strange land. In one of the chapters, Milo sees all these people walking quickly to their destinations, only he can't figure out where any of them are going--he sees no buildings, streets or landmarks. No one is talking, no one is looking up, and all the people are just watching their feet. After engaging one of these people, he finds that there is a city, with buildings, streets, and other structures, but the city is invisible. The reason for its invisibility is that the citizens of this city stopped seeing it. They started watching their feet and ignoring each other instead. After a while, the city faded.

The city is invisible because the people stopped looking at it.

One thing I try to practice each day is being present. Paying attention to where I am in the here and now. I try to listen when people talk, look up and smile at people when I am walking, and admire the scenery wherever I am. I just think that if we all tried to practice a little more presence, we might actually connect more concretely as a community.

It seemed to me that the students who were walking and texting weren't really able to enjoy the beautiful weather or the view.

One day they are going to wake up, and find that the ocean has faded away.

2 comments:

mons meg said...

very profound. im going to try and be more present as well.

emspivey said...

Robyn,

That is so true! I've noticed being on crutches, howe much I miss looking around. I am usually looking at the ground so that I don't trip on something. While I was at Loma that is one thing I made sure to appreciate and comment on the beauty of the ocean and our campus. Oh how I miss and am so glad that I didn't take it for granted. I'm also glad that I walked the "long" way to ensure getting the most out of my walk on campus to see the ocean. :)

Hope you're doing well!

Lainy