Friday, December 21, 2007

Staff Paper

I've decided that I really want to attempt composing a piece for my string trio. Perhaps it will turn into a quartet. My friend Kyle wrote this song for guitar, and I'm going to try to arrange that first and see how it goes. So I bought some staff paper (blank music paper) today. It is thick and I like it because the lines are not super dark. I'm excited. I think I'm going to try and work on it tonight. It will be a challenge, but what a great piece it could be. I can hear the potential in it. Depending on what I come up with, it might stay true to the guitar part, but I can hear other melodies in my head on top of it, so it may morph into something slightly different.

I have always loved stationary and art supplies. I think it is because I like the idea of being creative. One of my favorite places as a kid was this lady's house. She had an art studio behind her garage and would teach art lessons to kids after school. She had construction paper, canvas, art paper, all kinds of paints, clay, markers, crayons, charcoals, watercolors, you name it, she had it. I always had the hardest time choosing what I wanted to work on and gravitated towards the clay. I have quite a few clay animals that I made when I was in first grade from her class. I loved the potential for creativity. That's what I see when I look at my nice, clean, blank pieces of staff paper: undiscovered melody.

1 comment:

mons meg said...

undiscovered melody is so poetic :)