Friday, November 24, 2006

The Cousins

Thanksgiving with the fam is an interesting experience every year. Every year, I usually say I don't want to go home. The thought of having to deal with the repricussions of my parent's divorce every year during the holidays fills me with tension and anxiety. Some of my cousins usually annoy me every year, mostly because they are immature. But this year was different.

This year, their mom (whom my brothers and sister and I were all scared of growing up) kind of threw a "not talking to anybody" fit. She barely said hi to anyone and left earlier than everyone else.

She did not even really say "hi" to her kids. One of her kids is engaged, and she doesn't like his fiance. Another one is dating this guy that smokes, and she doesn't like him either. Both the fiance and the date were there tonight. So she chose to ignore everyone (the entire family!!) rather than participating in the evening's events.

I actually had fun, but I was struck by how both of these cousins sounded like their mom was really hurting their feelings by not respecting their choices, and I feel for them. Sometimes you just need to know that your parents love you, no matter what. And that when kids grow up, the parents just need to let go and try to be supportive as long as these choices aren't life threatening.

I think that in spite of their outgoing and sometimes eccentric behavior, my cousins are very courageous for taking a stand against their mom, and following their hearts.

No comments: