Saturday, February 19, 2005

Abundantly Poor

It is possible to feel blessed with abundance and incredibly poor at the same time. I have felt so blessed these last few months. I got some great gifts for my birthday, reconciled a relationship with someone I felt I treated poorly, met some new people, and yet, as I paid my bills last night, I couldn't help but start to panic.

I read Matthew 14:14-21 this morning. It is the story of how as Jesus continued to heal the people, more people came, and they had no food. Jesus tells the disciples to give them something to eat, and they tell Him that they only have five loaves of bread and two fish. Jesus tells the people to sit down, gives thanks for the food, and provides more than enough for everyone.

God has always provided for me. He never lets me get into the red, no matter how much money I think I have left to spend. This does not mean that I go out and spend all my money, but that I budget and try to make it on what I have. I am so frail. When I panic, its like I'm not putting my faith in God, and he has always taken care of me, another lesson in trusting Him.

No comments: