Thursday, February 24, 2005

Dating Novella

Dating is so hard. I'm thinking about writing out my stories about dating in the form of a novella.

So here it is, Chronicles of the Chronically Single:

I met a really cool guy about a month ago, and I think he would ask me out except that he's moving in about 5 days. I love spending time with him, and we seem to be very compatible as friends. BUT HE'S MOVING!

Then there's these two other guys that I'm not necessarily interested in. I just don't know what to do in these situations. I don't want to hurt their feelings, but I'm willing to be friends...but if they want more than that, well, I IGNORE THEM!

This is all totally hilarious to me, because I haven't been asked out in the last year or so, and now there's two guys interested, possibly three? If only guy number 1 wasn't moving away...

Dating makes me feel squirmy...like I'm a little kid trying to sit still in church, bored with drawing pictures in the margins of the bulletin with the same dulled golf pencils that never get replaced... trying not to disturb the people around me, but disturbing them anyway because of my restlessness...

There are a few possible reasons for my squirmy-ness:
1. I don't like being the center of attention, and when there's only two of you well... there's not really any way to distract the other person with other people...
2. Even though I have control of the dating situation (ie I am the responder...) dating still makes me feel out of control...when there's another person out there, well, you can't really control them...and uh, that makes me nervous, er, squirmy, even though I like variety in life, I like people to be predictable and the guys who are interested in dating me, well, that's not very predictable at all.
3. I have few close friends, and a lot of people I keep at arms-length. I am very reserved and skeptical, and hard to win over sometimes. My reserve sometimes creates social awkwardness in dating situations and it might be because I feel like I'm a boring person...anyone who is interested in dating me automatically makes me just a little bit skeptical...
4. Of course, I could always blame it all on my parents and their messy divorce, but two of my siblings (out of four of us) are in healthy, committed dating relationships...that's 50%, so I don't know that I can blame the parents...but I could...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really could still blame the parents...the two in relationships were too young to know what was going on...even though we all deal w/ the messiness going on now, you had to deal w/ it then too...and i love you :) thanks for getting my shoes! love-meg