Sunday, December 19, 2004

Debt

I wish my financial debts could just be cancelled. I spent the better part of the drive from Long Beach to San Diego trying to work myself out of debt in my head. It is going to take a minimum of 6 months. I was trying to figure out if I could afford to put another car repair on my credit card. I could, but I don't want to. So I thought about an aggressive saving plan...start with the money before I repair the car. That's going to take at least three or four months of living very minimally...but I just want to be free.

Being in financial debt has given me new perspective on spiritual debt. We have a spiritual debt, and God paid it on the cross. We are free and that's so exciting. I wish my financial debt could be similarly cancelled.

The major difference between financial debt and spiritual debt is that you can work your way out of financial debt (most of the time). You can't exactly work your way out of spiritual debt. There's nothing we can do about it except pray to God and ask him to free us.

All I know is that I will be so excited when I am finally free of my financial debts, and I should be more excited that my spiritual debt has already been paid. I am grateful, I just haven't always acknowledged my spiritual debts or been as grateful as I should be that I am free.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Nice thoughts! I have been working through some of the financial stuff myself. The cost of grad school really puts us in a bind. I hope God reveals something for you. I am working on puting my savings into a higher performance account and then (since my pay is so low) useing the interest only payment option for my loans. I think it might work because I qualify under the economic harship stuff. I think this might work, but I am going to talk to my dad about it. If I find something good I will let you know. So what are you doing about the car? Can you drive it? I am looking forward to meeting up over the holidays.