Sunday, November 07, 2004

Texas Part 1

My harrowing Texas experience:

Dad dropped me off at the airport at about 9pm so that I could pick up my rental car so that I could drive from Houston to Austin.

Problem 1: There are two airports in Houston, I thought I was flying into the other airport. My directions from Houston to Austin were incorrect. I drove around Houston for 45 minutes before I actually got to the correct freeway. And I had to pay about 3 tolls for going the wrong direction. By the time I was on my way, it was after 10pm.

Problem 2: Earlier on Saturday, I had dropped my cell phone, and it was not working correctly. I didn't realize that my phone wasn't working correctly until about 1/3 of the way to Austin and not until midnight. So I pulled into a gas station in the middle of Texas and went to use the pay phone. I didn't realize that pay phones these days only work locally. Then I realized that I didn't have my cousin's number...I was trying to make my way to her place to sleep. So I called my Grandma collect, and got Danielle's number, and then tried to use the pay phone until I gave up and bought a phone card at the mini-mart that was attached to the gas station. It took about 25 minutes for me to make those calls.

Problem 3: With the exceptions of all the incorrect turns I took in Houston, I missed an additional 2 turns, which set me back even more. At least I usually knew when I was heading the wrong direction, and I would either turn immediately around, or get out and ask. I left Houston at about 10:45pm, and finally got to Austin at around 2:30am. I was very tired.

Even though I made it here, there were a lot of things that could have gone wrong. I kept praying for safety and provision, that God would calm me down and get me where I needed to go. I am so thankful I made it here safely, and I'm glad I don't freak out when I feel like I'm lost. I knew which direction I wanted to go, and went. Although I had never taken this route before, and needed to ask for help along the way, I made it to Austin. See y'all later.

PS. If you try to call me, leave a message, as I am able to check my messages, but can't call out very well.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Way to find peace in the journey even if sometimes you take detours.
:)