Monday, December 19, 2005

Reindeer Games

Reverse order events:

Today:

Just got back from the department Christmas party. We ate Hawaiian food and exchanged gifts. Everyone was really excited about the Christmas antlers we received and wore them through the opening of the presents. At my work, the rule is that you buy everyone the same gift and it must cost less than a dollar. You could also make something if you want. I bought everyone cowbells. This fits with my music theme because last year, I bought kazoos for everyone. Next year, I had a great idea. I'm going to buy $1.00 CD's at the store. Most stores have a random clearance CD section wherein all the CD's are really funny and cost a dollar.

Our director is retiring in August this year, so we knew this was going to be a special Christmas. For our gifts from him, we were each given a carved angel. Mine is called the angel of love, and she is holding a nest of birds.

This is interesting because love is THE attribute I struggle with the most. I'm still not quite sure what it means to love, and my actions aren't always very loving. Sometimes I question whether I love people at all. So I find it interesting that of all the different angels I could have received, I received the one that is the most ironic. I feel like there's a message in the gift for me this year. It was a great party. And no one is going to get any work done for the rest of the day.

Sunday:

Woke up and went to church to practice the children's choir who amazingly enough really practiced a lot on their own and sounded great! My parents came into town to see my sister and I perform in our church's Christmas service last night. One of my friends cooked this whole meal for everyone so my family went to "dinner" at her place. She is such a great cook! The food was great, and so was the company. I'm really glad my parents had the chance to meet some of my friends. Then we relaxed at my place before heading out to the church.

Kids choir. So funny. Of course something always has to happen and what happened this time was that our littlest singer who is about 3 decides to hold a syllable just a tad too long in Joy to the World so it sounded like this:

Joy to the world,
the Lord is come
let Earth receive her Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It made me laugh in the middle of the performance.

I thought things went rather well on the whole.

Saturday:

Christmas shopping, chores, and party. I cannot believe I actually found a spot at the mall to park in. I managed to do about half my Christmas shopping and wore myself out. Then I went back to my place to take a nap, only I watched "Elf" instead. It was still restful. Then I started washing my clothes, practiced guitar like crazy for the performance with the kids on Sunday, and then when my laundry was done, took it to dry at the laundromat, wherein a whole row of dryers did not work and there were not really too many dryers available. I had to finish my chores before going to the Christmas party, so I was about 2 hours late. However, I dressed up like a reindeer, and took a picture with my friend who dressed up like an elf. Awesome.
_________________________________________

I am noticing a reindeer theme. I think they are my favorite Christmas symbol. Which is sort of weird. And I'm still wearing antlers.

No comments: