Friday, January 21, 2011

Leading...

I subscribe to quite a few blogs. One of them is one by Donald Miller, who wrote Blue Like Jazz (which is a very good read!). I don't often read all the articles in my inbox, I usually just scan headlines and read the articles that look the most interesting. Miller's topic today was Lead by being yourself. That headline was all I read, but it was a good reminder for me today.

I'm taking over leadership responsibilities of the music team at my church, and I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. I know I can do a great job leading people into a worship experience, but my weakness is that I'm not a very good guitar player. I am worried that it will be distracting when I mess up, and that I won't be able to play the songs well enough (which is kind of a lame thought since I should be able to play them fine with a little practice).

Miller's tiny headline reminded me that I really don't have to be the best guitar player. All I have to do is be myself--someone who has had a lot of experience both leading and following in various musical performance groups, someone who's willing to learn, listen, and practice. I've been comparing myself to all the really good guitarists I know, and I'll never be that good of a guitar player. But who I am is a leader and musician. I'm grateful I even have this opportunity to lead worship mostly because I realized that I started learning guitar 13 years ago with that dream in mind.

If you read this and you know me, please keep me in your prayers as I transition into this leadership position at my church, that I would continue to remember that I should lead by being myself.

No comments: