Friday, April 27, 2007

New Neighbors

I have recently been hanging out with my neighbor; she rents from the same lady I do. We have been walking together about twice a week, and it has been good for both of us. She told me last week that she believes that people are put into her path for a reason. I'm not sure yet what purpose I will serve in her life except to perhaps encourage her to grow more in her relationship with God.

Today, I met another new neighbor. She's moving in across the street. We met because I sneezed loudly as I was getting ready to head over to volunteer at the high school, and she said, "bless you," and asked if it was true that allergies were worse in San Diego. I said that it was possible, and then she asked what instrument I play. I told her that I play cello, and then she said that she had been a classical pianist, and an actress. In the next ten minutes, she told me that she had just had reconstructive facial surgery. I assumed it was because that's what all the hollywood folk are doing these days, but then she told me it was because some guy had beat her up and broken almost every bone in her face. It ruined her career, and because he had been stalking her, she moved away from LA.

Then she said, "I'm sorry for dumping all this on you, and we've only just met...I'm just so glad to be alive."

At this point, I don't know how often I will be seeing her, but I think there is truth to what my other neighbor believes, that God brings people in our paths for a purpose. In this case, I am reminded that every day is a new day, and a new beginning.

No comments: